Happy birthday blog!! My blog is one month old today – So looking back over the last month I thought I’d share with you what I’ve learnt about writing this past month, biggest challenge for me was time management!!
- Thou shalt write. Everyday. This is absolutely necessary. When I made the decision to spend more time on my writing and develop it I was amazed at the amount of time spent on social media sites. Social media sites are necessary if you are writing but you also have to spend time honing your craft. Whether you write longhand and then transfer it to your wp or if you sit at your kitchen table and type it all out (like me) it doesn’t matter. What matters is that you actually write.
- Thou shalt juggle time like a pa: Hands up anyone lucky enough to “just write” Thought not. Most writers juggle parenthood/ jobs/taxi service (those of you with children know what I’m talking about)
- Things don’t always work out: Even the best plans don’t always work out. Homework took longer than you thought. There’s a deadline looming in work that you can’t miss and the upshot of all of this is that you don’t get to do any writing. Try not to stress take a deep breath and move on. When I get stressed I lose all my creativity it completely stops. “In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the experts there are none” And that’s true in order to think of ideas your mind has to be open to accept them. Think about it . So the next time something unexpected happens – and it will because that’s life – take a deep breath, prioritize what you need to do and carry on!
- Writing is re-writing and re-writing and re-writing. Words have the ability to be very powerful. Check out http://inoirvelvet.com/ I love Nina’s six word stories very thought-provoking and evocative!
- It takes time : There’s no way around it. I have yet to write an article and submit it without re-writing and polishing it.
- When all else fails there’s always chocolate – seriously what is it about the lure of the fridge late at night and you know where there’s a last square of chocolate……